As a mom, you’re always thinking about and prioritizing the safety of your baby. One of the most important decisions you make for them early on is their car seat. Safety comes at a price in this case though, so you might be thinking a convertible car seat is your best option.
Basically, a convertible car seat allows for you to use the same seat from newborn through all the toddler stages. You start off the seat rear facing, just like any newborn car seat, but later on can face forward and possibly even turn into a booster seat. Let’s take a look at what our pro moms say is the best convertible car seat for 2021!
*Keep in mind states laws and the rules of your hospital, because in some cases it may be necessary to take your baby home in an infant car seat. In this case, you can still switch to a convertible car seat later on and get tons of use out of it.
What Features are Important
If you have done car seat shopping before, you know the struggle of trying to figure out what is really important and features you simply don’t need. Trust me, I feel your struggle on this and it gets even a little more tricky when looking into convertible car seats. You have to think about everything you want in your car seat from the newborn stages all the way into childhood. We’ve broken down some of the things we find most important on the convertible car seat checklist.
- Safety- That’s what this is really all about, and while it is the most important thing to consider know that if you’re buying a new car seat it has been rigorously tested and proved its ability to keep your baby safe.
- Price Range- Before you begin the hunt, pick a price range you feel comfortable with. That way you can immediately eliminate everything out of your range. There are great convertible car seats for as low as $50, so you aren’t boxing yourself in much by picking a price point.
- Materials- You’re buying this car seat because you want it to last a long time, so it is extra important that it’s made of high quality, durable, and easily cleanable materials.
- Height and Weight Restrictions- Make sure to check out the different height and weight restrictions of your car seat. You want to keep your baby rear facing for as long as possible because it’s safest for them, but different car seats have differing restrictions limiting this.
- Variety of Positions- Babies grow and change so fast, you will want a car seat that can change along with them. This is really important if you want to keep them rear facing for a long time because you will need to have positions that accommodate more height and legroom.
- Car Hook-Ups- In general, convertible car seats are not going to be that easy to move around meaning you’ll probably leave them in the one car that baby is in the most. It is very important to check what hookups your car can accommodate, whether that be latch in or seat belt only. On top of hookups, you will want to measure you car and compare it to the shell heights of different car seats to make sure it will comfortably and safely fit.
Top 10 – Best Convertible Car seat
This car seat just kind of has everything going for it. It’s moderately priced, fits easily in most cars, and has tons of different reclining positions. You can’t really go wrong with this pick, and it’s already many parent’s choice as the best convertible car seat.
Cool Features: 9 different reclining options, new latch technology making it easier to install, thermal insulated cup holder, automatic harness adjustment
Age/Weight: 0-18 months, 5-65 lbs
This is the absolute best choice for mamas of multiple or bigger families. The car seat has a narrow base making it easy to fit up to three car seats across most back seats. This being said it is still super safe and has plenty of changing positions for your growing little one.
Cool Features: compact design making it possible to have more car seats in your car, made of Greenguard Select Certified Crypton Super Fabrics, EACT safety technology
Weight: 14-65 lbs
The Britax is one of the best convertible car seats according to our pro moms because it has proven to be such a safe car seat. It’s both easy to install and easy to adjust, so you can have peace of mind that your little one is safe and sound through any changes.
Cool Features: easy Clicktight car installation, 2 layers of side impact protection, 14 harness positions, 7 recline positions
Age: 5-40 lbs rear facing & 20-65 lbs forward facing
– I absolutely loved Peg Perego for my babies and I wish I would have known about this convertible car seat back then! It’s a great option with all the bells and whistles. Plus, it’s super easy to convert.
Cool Features: contains an energy absorbing foam, top tether hook increasing stability when forward facing, 10 different easily adjustable positions, easily removable and washable covers
Age: 5-45 lbs rear facing & 22-65 lbs front facing
This car seat comes in right around the middle price range, but it has all the awesome features. The extra legroom is especially nice for bigger kids.
Cool Features: extra 5” of leg room so your child can stay rear-facing longer, one motion adjustment for headrest and harness, harness storage making it easier to get the buckle out of the way when placing your child in the seat
Age: 4-50 lbs rear facing & 22-65 lbs forward facing
If you’re looking to stay within a lower budget, this is the convertible car seat for you. It’s still completely safe and passes or exceeds all safety standards. It’s a pretty compact seat and easy to wash as well.
Cool Features: integrated body cushion for extra comfort, over 2x the structural integrity of the Federal Crash Standard, multiple fun color options, easy off machine washable padding
Age: 5-40 lbs
This is another great Evenflo car seat and again on the lower end price wise. The really cool thing about this car seat is that it has a sensor alerting you that your baby is in the car, giving you a little piece of mind knowing your little one will never get left behind on those hectic days.
Cool Features: SensorSafe technology to alert driver baby is in the vehicle, over 2x the structural integrity of the Federal Crash Standard, removable cup holder
Age: 5-45 lbs rear facing & 22-65 lbs front facing
Like the name says, this guy really is forever making it the best choice for parents who never want to go car seat shopping again. Not only did this seat do forward and rear facing, but it can later turn into a booster seat. I know it’s hard to imagine your sweet little baby as big kiddo, but Graco thought it all through for you so you don’t really have to.
Cool Features: rear facing/forward facing/booster seat, easy latch system, 3 bright fun colors to choose from,
Age: 4-120 lbs
Not that it’s your main priority, but this seat is actually beautifully designed and so chic. On top of that it’s really safe, your child can stay rear facing up to 50 lbs with plenty of legroom, and it’s easy to install.
Cool Features: 10 position recline and head support options, a harness can adjust with just one hand, ventilation panels, 4 beautiful neutral colors, simple installation
Age: 5”“50 lb rear-facing; 25”“65 lb forward-facing; up to 49”
Maxi Cosi is a pretty popular car seat brand and this is a new favorite. This car seat won’t be for your newborn as it starts at 14 lbs, but it’s a great second car seat to transition into. Your child can sit facing forward in this seat for longer than typical, which is great because you can keep them out of a booster for longer.
Cool Features: Air Protect side impact protection, easily removable snap open padding, the highest weight limit of any convertible car seat that’s not a booster
Age: 14-40 lbs rear-facing
You Might Also Enjoy:
Pin for Later – Best Convertible Car Seat – Top 10 for 2021